The essay, or “personal statement,” is one of the most critical parts of the college application, yet many students wait until the last minute to write it. While it’s only natural to be nervous about a such a high-stakes piece of writing, procrastinating won’t help! As part of our low-stress approach to college applications, we recommend that all students complete a solid draft of their main application essay BEFORE senior year starts.
To give students a strong head-start on their application essays, we hold a series of small-group essay workshops each summer. The workshops are designed to get students started on their essays in a low-pressure and supportive setting, with expert guidance from a college admissions coach.
Students will leave the workshop with:
- A solid understanding of how to write an outstanding application essay.
- Ideas for personal qualities to showcase in your essay.
- A list of potential topics that will strengthen the application.
- The beginnings of a first draft for the Common App or Coalition App Essay.
- A plan to finish all essays ahead of deadlines and inspiration to keep writing!
In addition, all participating students will receive one additional round of feedback on a future draft of any application essay.
LOCATION: Central Berkeley (exact address will be sent upon registration)
DATES FOR SUMMER 2017:
- June 25, 1:00 – 4:00
- July 29, 1:00 – 4:00
Please contact us if you would like to register for an essay workshop!